2018 EDITION: A comprehensive annual review of mining risk, including a jurisdiction-by-jurisdiction ratings system and an assessment of general business and operating risks and trends.
- Investment Risk Index rates jurisdictions across five risk categories: Legal, Governance, Social, Fiscal and Infrastructure.
- Includes MineHutte’s Regulatory Risk Rating for mining codes globally, along with its Corruption Risk Index.
- ‘Hard Risk’ numbers are gathered from established risk metrics and combined with ‘Risk Perception’ numbers gathered from our World Risk Survey.
- Scores weighted toward Hard numbers to provide stability and transparency to ratings year-on-year.
- Separate General Risk section ranks and assesses headlining Business and Operating risks on severity, manageability and trend (increasing or receding).
- More than 3,800 unique and aggregated datapoints and some 30,000 words of analysis,discussion and thought leadership.
- Premium Subscribers can download a report Excerpt here.
INSIDE THIS REPORT
INVESTMENT RISK INDEX
ii. Executive Summary
iii. Legal Risk Leader: Legal foundation needed for sustainable sector
iv. Legal Risk Charts: Hard Risk, Perceived Risk and Risk Index
v. Legal Risk Discussion
vi. Governance Risk Leader: Broadening the scope of governance assessments
vii. Governance Risk Charts: Hard Risk, Perceived Risk and Risk Index
viii. Governance Risk Discussion
ix. Social Risk Leader: Prevent, not repair
x. Social Risk Charts: Hard Risk, Perceived Risk and Risk Index
xi. Social Risk Partner Content: Miners must become socially aware
xii. Social Risk Discussion
xiii. Fiscal Risk Leader: No watertight agreements
xiv. Fiscal Risk Charts: Hard Risk, Perceived Risk and Risk Index
xv. Fiscal Risk Discussion
xvi. Infrastructure Risk Leader: The tyranny of distance
xvii. Infrastructure Risk Charts: Hard Risk, Perceived Risk and Risk Index
xviii. Infrastructure Risk Discussion
ixx. Reference Tables
It's been another risky 12 months in mining.28 SEPTEMBER 2018
Miners must continue to rise to the challenge of an evolving risk landscape.
The Investment Risk Index methodology is based on an in-depth industry consultation process.28 SEPTEMBER 2018
The 2018 Investment Risk Index suggests governments have managed to take the edge off, marginally.
Codes that are attractive to investors do not have to be exploitative for host nations.
Legal: Hard risk ratings, Perceived risk ratings and Investment Risk Index charts.
The disappointments in terms of mining code quality have failed to show signs of improvement.
Civic space and comprehensive transparency build foundations for stable mining projects.
Governance Hard Risk Ratings, Governance Perceived Risk Ratings and Governance Investment Risk Index...
The developing world is improving, but the developed world displays limited improvement.
Political, environmental and social factors are important for miners' success.
Social Hard risk ratings, Perceived risk ratings and Investment Risk Index charts.
We can mitigate, prepare for, and adapt to the realisation of risk.
The world is, by the smallest of margins, a riskier place from a social perspective.
Tax policy has become the battleground for a broadening array of political objectives.
Fiscal Hard risk ratings, Perceived risk ratings and Investment Risk Index charts.
Improvements are needed but we can conquer the infrastructure world.
Infrastructure Hard risk ratings, Perceived risk ratings and Investment Risk Index charts.
The overall average score across the globe was largely unmoved this year.
The 2018 survey recorded responses from 759 industry professionals.28 SEPTEMBER 2018
Markets naturally rate various risks but executive competence remains tough to quantify.
At the extreme end of the ratings, a grim picture develops.
There are still significant opportunities for improvement in how we manage risks.