"I am extremely disappointed and saddened that we failed to send one of our extended family members at Calibre, safely home from work," CEO Russell Ball said yesterday.
"All accidents are avoidable and this one was no exception."
The company said openpit mining operations were immediately suspended on Friday night after the accident.
They resumed on Sunday morning, with the approval of the relevant authorities following their review and investigation, Calibre said.
The company said it was working with the contractor to ensure adequate support.
Counselling services were available to those impacted by the accident and Ball extended heartfelt condolences to family, friends and co-workers.
Limon was one of two B2Gold mines Calibre acquired last year in a US$100 million deal.
It had suspended Limon and Libertad in March amid COVID-19 precautions and began a phased restart in June, issuing revised 2020 guidance of 110,000-125,000 ounces of gold.
The company is looking to increase production using a "hub and spoke" philosophy and was last week granted a key environmental permit for development and production at Pavon Norte near Libertad's mill.
Calibre shares (TSX: CXB) graduated from the TSX Venture Exchange to the TSX in October and are trading at the upper end of a C47c-$1.96 range.
They last closed at $1.76 to capitalise the company at $577 million (US$431 million).